HELP & ADVICE
Virgin Media Business update on Covid-19
Last updated: 23rd March 2020
Every day, people, businesses and public services rely on Virgin Media to stay connected. But in times like these, it’s even more critical for us to keep things running smoothly – and we’re working hard to do that.
Here you can read about the steps we’re taking to help keep our people and customers safe, and protect our network.
All our call centres are understandably really busy at the moment,
so it could take us a while to answer your call.
For now, use our website for help and support – start here.
You’ll also find more help with specific questions at the bottom of this page.
Keeping our customers safe
The health and wellbeing of our people and customers is our top priority, so we’re following government and medical advice to put safety first when installing or servicing our customers’ connections.
- Once you’ve placed your order, you’ll get a dedicated order manager. They’ll ordinarily contact you within five working days to welcome you, check your order details and explain next steps. Understandably demand is currently high but we’ll aim to keep you up to date if anything changes.
- Your order manager will also double check with you whether you’re self-isolating and make relevant arrangements.
- We’re checking with our technicians to confirm they don’t have flu-like symptoms, aren’t self-isolating, and haven’t been to high-risk areas. If they answer yes, they won’t visit your business.
Keeping our people safe
As well as following all official guidance, we’re regularly updating our employees with health and safety advice, while putting in place necessary working arrangements alongside travel and site restrictions. These measures include:
- Adhering to current Government guidance on self-isolation.
- Providing the flexibility and capability for most of our people to work remotely. For those unable to do this, we’ve put in place additional safety and hygiene measures, like social distancing.
- Setting up a dedicated hotline for anyone in the business with a confirmed case of coronavirus so they can get the support needed.
- Added extra hygiene measures and increased cleaning across all of our sites, and provided extra hand sanitiser gels and wipes for all customer-facing teams.
- Cancelling all non-critical business travel, both domestic and overseas.
- Cancelling or postponing all employee events.
- Placing strict limits on the number of external visitors to our sites with employees asked to host meetings remotely (through a video conference or call).
- Asking any external visitors to our sites to declare they aren’t showing symptoms of coronavirus, haven’t come into contact with anyone confirmed to have the virus, and don’t currently have household members who are self-isolating or being tested.
Monitoring our network
We’re well prepared for our workforce and customers to work from home. A full impact assessment has been carried out with continuity plans put in place to deliver an effective and smart response for the ongoing management and operation of our network. So far we haven’t seen any significant network traffic spikes.
Our network is built to withstand evening and weekend peaks including traffic spikes so any usage increase seen in the daytime will be catered for from our existing capacity. It’s there ready and waiting. Of course, we’re continually investing in our network capacity month-on-month so will make any necessary changes if they are required.
In the event of a significant impact on our workforce, we’ve planned for various scenarios. This includes the prioritisation of major faults and resolving any capacity-based issues.
We’re also looking at ways we can help our customers if they find it difficult to pay their Virgin Media bill during this time.
We’ll keep you updated
This is a fast-moving and unprecedented situation for all of us. Our promise is to stay transparent, look after the network that helps you connect to the people and things most important to you, and keep you updated as often as we can.
Stay safe and take care of each other.