HELP & ADVICE
Notification of change to your phone service
Why have you written to me?
Your current phone service is based on technology that’s now obsolete and will be withdrawn from use from 11th November 2020. This means that your existing service will no longer work after this time.
Do you have an alternative phone service?
Yes, we have an alternative solution available using newer technology but we do need to speak with you first to ensure that this will be compatible with any other devices you may currently use alongside your existing phone service.
Do I need to take any action first?
We’re planning on migrating your current phone service to our newer Voice over IP (VoIP) solution but there are a number of key differences between this service and your existing phone service.
Firstly, as the phone service is provided over our broadband network, if you have a local power cut, your phone service will also not work and you will not be able to make or receive calls, even to emergency services.
Secondly, if you have any connected devices that you use currently with your phone service (such as payment machines/EPOS terminals or security alarms etc.), you’ll need to check that they will work with VoIP. If you need the device to operate 24/7, including during any power outages, then you’ll need to ensure they have their own battery and network back-up. The best way for you to check this is to call your device provider and speak with them directly.
Once I know this information, what should I do?
- Please call us on 0800 052 0800 (selecting option 2, then 1, then 1 again) to tell us the outcome. If the devices are compatible a member of our team will run through a few additional questions and a serviceability check with you. Our Customer Care team will also check if there are any vulnerable end users based at this site, to ensure that any equipment they may use is compatible with the new service. Although this product will be withdrawn from use in November, we’d love to get you set up in advance. Therefore please call us by 4th September 2020. If we don’t hear from you by this time, we’ll send you a reminder.
- Your details will then be passed to our Order Management team who will contact you to arrange a mutually convenient date for the install of your new service. On the agreed install date, an engineer will visit your office. Please note: our engineer will complete the physical installation of your phone service but you’re responsible for ensuring, in advance, that your associated devices (payment machines/EPOS terminals/alarms) are compatible with the new service. If you need to re-arrange the install date for Covid-19 reasons (such as you are self-isolating), then please call us to re-arrange 48 hours before your scheduled date (if possible) on 0800 052 0800 (selecting option 1).
How are you operating during the Coronavirus pandemic?
We appreciate that you may have concerns around someone visiting your site at this time, so for more information on how we’re operating during the Coronavirus pandemic, please visit www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/business-advice/update-on-covid-19/.
Providing that your devices are compatible with the new VOIP service, then you’ll see the following changes.
- Your handset and number will remain the same
- When we upgrade your service, not only will you benefit from your telephony running on our fibre network, but if you have our broadband service, we’ll automatically increase it to speeds up to 350mbps (if your speed is lower than that currently). There will be no additional charge for this
- If you have a phone only service from us, you’ll receive a new router (at no additional charge) to support your upgraded fibre phone service. The cost of your service won’t change and you’re under no obligation to purchase any broadband services from us
- N.B. Once connected to our VoIP service, you’ll need to ensure that if there is a power cut, any associated devices linked to your phone service (such as EPOS terminals or security alarms) have their own battery/network back-up. In this event, you would be unable to make emergency calls. This is because your phone service will be connected via a router
What happens if I don’t want to take out a new service?
As your current phone service is based on technology that’s now obsolete it will be withdrawn from use from 11th November 2020. This means that your existing service will no longer work after this time.
We need to let you know that if the alternative solution outlined above isn’t suitable for you, you have the right to cancel your service without penalty.
Feature list of Voice over IP (VoIP)
The following features below are optional extras. If you need them, please call our Customer Care team to enable them on your service. These features are chargeable except for voicemail which is a standard feature of your service.